Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Deadlines & Demonised Mannequins



The last few weeks have been a little more than the normal erratic chaos that reigns in our household.

My oldest daughter slightly shy of her 21st birthday, affectionately called 'Zip' (long story) has been a flurry of dynamic, tenacious gusto as her fledgling business has taken an abrupt upturn on the demand side. We all have been swept up in the backdraft, caught up in the whirlwind fury of preparations for her latest commission; producing futuristic costumes for this years exclusive "White Ivy Party".

She was notified of her requirement to produce 7 outstanding artistic pieces a mere 10 days ago whilst working fervently on producing hand-dyed silk evening gowns for the 'Style Exchange' and only 2 weeks before that was the 'Launch My Label' catwalk in which she became the darling of the moment. There were a few other engagements before that, that have now become a blur over time.

Friday 6pm was the deadline to hand over the pieces.

Thursday, after answering Zip's call for help, I had sent 2 of our Bubba Moe employees, Karen and Rebecca up to home to help with sewing, spray painting, wiring etc. 
Karen was gathering long stripes of tulle in segments while Rebecca was in the studio spray painting wires, bird spikes, getting tangled in fishing wire whilst arguing with one of our resident mannequins called "The Other Woman". Unfortunately for Rebecca "The Other Woman" won.
I have a very strong suspicion that the fibreglass mannequin is possessed by some mischievous poltergeist, hell bent on giving all passers-by a headache.
She will stand perfectly still on the stand for days on end, which we have added 8 kilo's of weights to, all in vain efforts to stop her from falling over anytime anyone is near, all to no avail. If you come near her, turn your back, she will fall forward and smack you in the head with her weight, and it's always the head. Now Rebecca is as tall as I am short, so "The Other Woman" waited till Rebeca was bending over unravelling her feet from fishing line when we heard a bang, crash and an "ow" emanating from the studio. We found Rebecca in a heap on the floor with The Other Woman on top, Rebecca was rubbing the back of her head. "She got me again!"
The week before, The Other Woman was at the factory where she normally resides, Rebecca was about to lean down and pull out a box of buckles from the storage shelf, being wise to the mannequin's antics, she moved the mannequin out of the way first. Grabbing the box, Rebecca let go of her production slip that wafted near the base of the mannequin, leaning down quickly to pick up the slip the mannequin fell forward and hit her on the head. "I should have known better" she quipped, leaving the mannequin rocking on the floor.

The entire common area of the house was littered with wires, fabric, drills, piping, tubing and mannequins wearing the almost completed costumes. In Drue's room, the grinder could be heard working it's magic on a few more pieces, in the office, Maurie was wrangling with a roll of plastic coil tube that definitely had a mind of it's own.

 I spent the night hand tacking precariously placed random bits of tulle into the structured layers. I must protest! even though I know there is an annoying trend to make everything smaller these days, but making the eye of the needle smaller is downright cruel! Donning my glasses, I still couldn't see the atom sized hole to thread the needle. Refusing to be beat, I grabbed Maurie's glasses and placed them over the top of my own glasses. I could see! yay, I can see, I can see..........back to work.
Zip walked in to check on my progress when she caught site of my dual glasses setup. She broke out in a roar of laughter, so everyone else had to have a look too. They stood there crowded in the doorway of the sewing room doubling over with hysterical laughter. I might have been the object of every one's entertainment, but personally I thought it was a rather crafty idea.
An hour later Ritch and Little Miss Mischief were in the lounge room threading wire through flyscreen piping. Not the easiest enterprise when LMM was distracted with other goings on and not holding up to her end of the bargain, literally. I could hear Ritch call out in frustration "Hold it up", "Keep it Straight!", "Stop jumping around!". My fingertip was becoming sore from pushing the sharp needle through, so I delegated LMM to another job while I helped her brother  push the wires through, which I might add was done in no time and without further protest from Ritch, after that it was back to some more hand tacking.

10pm, Zip was in dire need of comfort food, Ritch was in need of food in general, a perpetual teenage state, Jake (Zip's wonderfully devoted boyfriend) was warming to the idea of a 'late night munchie run' to the shops. With a list in hand he asked me what I wanted "Well, I think we could all do with at least half a dozen working elves, a box of Extra Time, a carton of Stamina and.......... a thimble" holding up my sore finger. Jake chuckled.
 Zip had determined that sleep was neither a negotiable or mandatory item on the must do list, but it was fast becoming a desired one.
Friday 3.30am, I forced her to go to bed for at least a little while, I had no choice when she fell asleep at the industrial sewing machine while stitching some boning into place on one of the 'Powder Puff Girls", Jake walked in with red eyes and said "I need some sleep". Jake had finally finished installing LED lights along a piece called the Mohawk.
I cruelly woke both of them at 5am to get started once again.
Friday was dull and gloomy, another grey day in paradise. Knowing that most of the pieces were being painted outdoors, I looked up heaven bound and prayed to all manner of gods, past, present and those yet unknown to mankind for it NOT to rain. You can rain all you like once we are finished ok! Sure enough it didn't.
3pm and I was placing the last finishing touches on a harness piece that was on the delinquent mannequin. Jake had earnestly fixed  The Other Woman, pledging that she will never fall over ever again, she was now deemed rock solid. She had remained upright the entire day and I was feeling confident enough to use her once again, I felt I had finally won the war with the wobbly mannequin.
The epoxy glue holding the coils onto the pvc pipe was almost set when I leaned to the side to grab another clamp, out of the corner of my eye I saw her sway forwards. With an almost fast action of a ninja, I lifted my leg out to the side as she fell forwards, she started to rock to the side, so I quickly cupped my foot inwards and caught her at the waist before she fell to the ground. Phew! back upright again, for a second she remained still until I let go to place the last clamp - she went backwards! In reaction I grabbed the harness, as the minx fell. The pieces snapped in my hands as the mannequin went crashing to the ground. Everyone came running, all I could eek out was a soft, feeble "Oops?" Actually I don't think I won the war after all.
I have a new love in my life; electrical tape! Jake whipped out from his bottomless tool kit the cobalt blue tape and with precision wrapped the pieces back into position. Racing outside we resprayed the piece and cured it with 2 hairdryers.
5pm, all was done! all pieces loaded into the van, Zip drove off with a triumphant smile on her face.
Walking inside I surveyed the tornado of mess left behind and decided to have a cup of coffee instead. As I took my first sip, the splattering sound of rain on our tin roof began. I looked up through the skylight and whispered thank you!.

No comments:

Post a Comment