Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The self made millionaire said "Money isn't everything"

Many years ago when we used to do the Narrabeen Markets on Sydney's northern beaches I came across a young man that hand made furniture. The solid wood pieces were refreshingly different from what was on offer in the all furniture stores. I fell in love with the furniture immediately, the coastal colouring was fresh and appealing from the stained wood or laminate furniture that's was on offer then and still today. Each month I would buy a piece, struggling to get them in the van along with all the other market paraphernalia. My wonderful 'old girl' van was so fantastic in accommodating my whims.
When I became pregnant with Ritch, we had sold all the baby goods at a garage sale years earlier, so I was on the 'Great Baby Expedition' once again. I needed a change table and some shelving for the new nursery, so the young man made both for me. The next month the sandy yellow change table and ocean blue shelving with cut outs of  boats and star fish's came home with me. I was stunned by the beauty of both pieces.
I asked him why he wasn't selling these to stores as there was a real lack of variety available. The whole day he had the pieces on his stall, he could've sold them 10 times over. He didn't take orders for them, just wanted to make some select one off pieces that's all and he told me it was just a hobby and he was far too shy to approach stores. It was a diplomatic way of saying he wasn't interested, but being 'blonde' as I was then I didn't get the clue.
Before the next month's market came around I had visited copious baby stores to introduce his products, with many of them very enthusiastic about stocking the wonderful nursery furniture. I was sure that artistic demeanour was all that was stopping him from achieving a very successful business. Most craft artists are their own worst critic! I was sure I was doing him a favour, my 'pay it forward' for a fledgling business, and a miracle that the rest of the community should have access too as well.
The morning of the next market I raced down and handed him the very long list of contacts, leaving him with his "um, ah, wow" reply and a perplexed look on his face. An hour or so later when the onslaught of the early morning die hard customers had finished, he turned up with a cup of coffee for me and asked me to walk with him.
It took him a little while to get started but his opening words were "Money isn't everything. I am a multi millionaire, now in retirement living everyday with my beautiful family. My dad was a cabinet maker and I grew up making furniture with him. I loved it, its now my hobby. I am also a bit of a electronic software whiz. You probably use the product I designed every single day without even knowing it.
When I was 26, I was married with a beautiful baby daughter and never at home as I was flying around the world securing contracts. One day I returned home to find my personal life had collapsed, my beautiful wife and child were gone. My business had destroyed everything that was dear to me"
"I sold the company for millions coaxing my family to return. We now have 2 more children, and the furniture I make, I make with my children, my oldest daughter helped paint your furniture. I realised a very valuable lesson, it's OK NOT to be successful, and no one ever says on their deathbed 'I should've spent more time at the office'. I just make the furniture for special people who will love and appreciate workmanship and craftsmanship,  I don't want another business ever again, just ice cream money"

When I swipe my ATM card at any store I look at the brand of devise, when I see the brand that was his, I have to smile and think of him again. I still have both pieces, now in storage for my future grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment