Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

school holidays on a nano budget

Last week was the first week of NSW school holidays. Leading up to the week that I was going awol from work, I had the staff prepared and the 2 new trainees settled. I was quite confident to slip away unnoticed by many.

I had an activity plan all devised for both Little Miss Mischief and I. The Troll now the grand old age of 15 wasn't at the least bit interested in coming at all. Too attached to his playstation and online gaming to grace us with his presence visiting museums and parks.

I expected this as he is currently ranking #3 in Australia for one particular online game. There are times I don't know where the playstation ends and he starts, the 2 seem to be a fusion of one.

The only time he extricates himself is to raid the pantry several times a day to feed his lithe ravenous body.
I know that he has also some serious training to do for next years tournament in California. Darn, being a minor, I must accompany him. I have the brochures ready for all the places I am going to have to visit to occupy myself while he is battling the rest of the worlds top 100

Little Miss Mischief had devised her own plans too. Her week planned with mum was definitely different to the one I had in mind. A whole lot cheaper too.

It makes me realise that you dont need a lot of money to have a fun time with kids during the holidays, so for those on a less than a micro budget, or a nano budget bordering on a nonexistent budget, there is still a lot of fun & joy to be had.



Forget about the empty purse, laughs come for free.











Out went my
Monday - Australian museum
Tuesday - The Powerhouse Museum
Wednesday - The Aquatic park
Thursday - Featherdale Wildlife Park
Friday - Ice Skating

Replaced with LMM's plan complete with pictures that she drew
Monday - Gardening with a backyard picnic lunch (teddies too)
Tuesday - Cycle to 3 different play parks with a picnic lunch
Wednesday - Cycle along the causeway with some kite flying at the end
Thursday - Walk down to see the performers at the local shopping centre and some bungy jumping (this did cost $5)
Friday - make some homemade play dough & choc chips cookies,  build a fairy wonderland on the coffee table (all 36 barbies were invited to this operation - missing a few more flowers from the garden too)

The whole week I was out of pocket $10 as LMM wanted to go bungy jumping twice, but the smile on LMM's face was indeed priceless.
I must admit I had a lot of fun too, even battling last weeks heavy wind trying to keep the kite under control.
At one stage the kite lifted LMM of the ground and I went for a flying tackle to pull her back down. We were rolling on the grass for ages cackling ourselves silly at the notion of her flying through the sky, just like a wayward Mary Poppins.

Telling her dad on Friday afternoon that she had the best week ever as her eye's sparkled and danced around with grin that almost was too big for her face.

Needless to say I had a great week too

No comments:

Post a Comment