Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

When a Pet Dies

I thought we'd share an email we were sent about a heart warming act of kindness by a stranger who helped a broken hearted child, when they beloved pet died. Children have such a strong bond with their pets, more than we can imagine at times, but when they die, the heartbreak is something as parents we need to help our children through.
One mother decided to help her 4 year old daughter write a letter to God to look after their dog Abbey. She never expected an answer!

So here's the email, you might need a tissue though!



Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died  last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter  Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.  She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey  got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I  thought we could so she dictated these words: 

Dear  God, 
Will  you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with  you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me  have her as my dog even though she got sick. 
I hope you will  play with her.. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am  sending a picture of her so when you see her You will know that  she is my dog. I really miss her. 
Love,  Meredith 

We put the  letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and  addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it..  Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope  because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter  all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the  letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if  God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He  had. 

Yesterday,  there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch  addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.. Meredith opened  it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies..'  Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to  God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture  of Abbey & Meredith and this note: 


Dear  Meredith, 
Abbey arrived  safely in heaven. 

Having the  picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. 
Abbey isn't sick  anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your  heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our  bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture  in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you  to keep and have something to remember Abbey by..

Thank  you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping  you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you  have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every  day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy  to find, I am wherever there is love. 

Love, 
God 



Wow! how something kind of wonderful is that!, it blew me away reading this email, albeit with a tissue in hand. A stranger at the postal dead letter office went out of their way to ease a broken hearted child, a blessed soul!


We lost our faithful dog Pollie,  a grand dame  of 16 years nearly 2 years ago. A framed photo of Pollie is mounted on the wall next to Little Miss Mischief's bed. Each night she says 'good night' and plants a kiss on the photo. Last week when it was her dad's birthday, the restaurant had some helium balloons on the table as a centre piece. LMM took them home, which she wrote on one


"Dear God, please give this to Pollie, she loves balloons and I miss her so much"


We walked outside in the dark, holding a candle in one hand she let the balloon go in the other. The breeze took hold of it and it floated upwards, then seem to hover at one point, not moving further upward.
Under my breath I said with fingers crossed behind my back "please keep on moving......please" then whoosh! it flew away. Phew!.
LMM said "For a moment there I was worried that maybe God doesn't allow balloons Mum in heaven".
Then she asked the question that I think is long overdue
"Can I have a puppy for Christmas?"
I looked my treasured garden and gulped...............


Have you had a pet that has died? what did you find hard or how did you explain it to your children?



No comments:

Post a Comment