Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Death by bombardment and how to be unliked by fans

Blogging used to be the domain of artists, thespians, budding wordsmiths and some unrequited authors, much like 'The Mean Fiddler' a once was, uniquely styled pub, that attracted the likes of same sort of people, has now become over run by the masses.

No longer do artists, writers frequent 'The Mean Fiddler'. Their muse has made way for underage clubbing, pub crawling of the weekend and family bistro on Sundays.
I hear it is now on one of the most violent pubs of Sydney list. ***Sigh***.

It is now mandatory for all businesses to have a social media side whether they are good at it or not. Thankfully there is a new merging business trend on Social Media skills building, which I, like a few thousand others are learning.

One is bombardment, apparently never appropriate.

Take a look at the novice trying to uploads some photos of new products on Facebook. Last week, one could upload to an album then share when finished. Remember those days! life was simple then.
Then it changed, one photo at a time please........
This week the novice, after 3 photo's realises something is different, scratches head, tries again, only to find they are shut out of their page for spamming
Sniff, sniff, sniff..............pouted lips.... I was only trying upload some photos. Enter the 'inadequacy syndrome'.....or DODIFS (Dear Oh Dear I Feel Stupid)

I am in constant trouble from all sorts of people about this blog. Well consistency should be a hallmark of all businesses I agree, so I am consistent about one thing; being in trouble.

OK, so I haven't included much about 'Slinging'  I was under the misguided belief that's what the official website is for? "But a blog will give extra tit bits and info" my Virtual Twitter man emphasises on the phone. Well when it comes to the numbers game he is right, he is winning hands down compared to my efforts on Facebook. Between you and me, I don't know any of those Twitter people. I might know several languages but Japanese isn't one of them. I do know the wonderful people on Facebook though.


To appease my VA, I started an article on Sling safety using a few different types of carriers as well, cant seem, nor do I want to be appear biased.
I came across an American site that is the guru of baby wearing safety, cool beginnings I thought, until I saw some of their photo's. After a few minutes I managed to collect my chin that had fallen down onto the desk and pushed back  my eyeballs before they popped and caused harm..........WHAT THE FRIGGIN F>>>>>>>>> (censored)
Karen Fantastic turned off the heater with a quip  "Its suddenly gotten hot in here?"
Steam was erupting from my ears.
I downloaded the offending 'safe' photo's for this blog and decided to make a photoshop copy of each to show the correct way. After several epic fails on photoshop,  I was trying to reconstruct a babies leg which kept turning out more like a pasty sausage salami looking appendage. ****Sigh****

3.30 am I haven't been to bed yet and its at least an hour after I normally get up (2.32am and I are long standing friends) The first of, what seems to be a few thousand daily inbox drops from a company called www.makeuseof.com  greets me with a large hello via Entourage's distinctive loud chime.

Normally this would irate the bejesus out of anybody, definite breach of social media etiquette and candidate of the year for "bombardment", but inside every single notification is something I can use or entertains me. At some point of the day I peruse each one. At this rate of education I will be a certified geek by years end. Whoo Hoo, get to wear the dusty mortar once again.

I found this site after my most famous DODIFS moment ever in my living history, no one was around to witness this vital crucial moment of epic fail proportions, but I did have the tissue box to help me though.

A project of trying to get a 'live' inventory accessible to our sales reps led me to seek out my brother in law Andy, the computer programmer extraordinaire!! thinking this was a completely logical & safe move.

I can out 'Excel' and database anyone at 10 paces but MySql is language that I don't speak either, but Andy thought I was up for it, confident, even insisting "I am quite confident that you should be able to set up a simple database access within 2 hours live on the Cloud" he left me with that. 6 Hours after that conversation I vowed never to speak to Andy ever again unless I do some serious physical harm first.

The one thing I have learnt in this modern time is that if you have a problem of any kind, then 'google it'. Guaranteed some poor misfortune soul has had that problem before you. Once I set up the Bubba Moe's MySql, which was incredibly easy, the blank black page appeared.......blink, blink, gulp.
Headed straight for Google for any possible life rafts that might have been floating on the sea of despair & humiliation.
I found 'Make Use Of', within an hour I could initiate a simple programme on MySql. Trying to get the programme working on the level I needed it to be was eating at my sanity, while trying to push aside an epiphany that arose somewhere in between.
Being a classic Taurean, the stubbornness meant I couldn't stop till I could do it, then I went for the far more intelligent user friendly system called google doc's which Make Use Of recommends.
What I like about Make Use Of is that its not all serious software & gaming & business solutions & articles but a whole list of seriously funny bits, as picured in this article.
One cartoon all about 'blogging' of all things, managed to surface on my Mac dashboard surrounded by my sticky notes instead of my downloads. So I am off to Goggle again with "How do I get a clip file that has appeared on a dashboard?"
Oh look! there's the answer, some other idiot has done that too!!


OK the Safe Slinging article coming soon

1 comment:

  1. What a 'friggin' funny post! Its nice to see a human side of a business.
    Out of the all baby carriers on the market,Bubba Moe came the most recommended. Both my girls were raised in your sling. I couldn't have survived without it.
    Keep up the great job with a great product. Keep up the great job on the blog, as a mum and a self employed solo flyer your insight is invaluable. Dont change it.

    ReplyDelete